Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Taylor by Taylor Swift

I don't know if you know this about me, but I'm a big Taylor Swift fan. While everyone has their opinion, I think she's a great role model for young girls and I find her girl-next-door persona very refreshing in an otherwise sexed-up Hollywood scene. 

A few months ago, I read in a magazine that she was coming out with a new fragrance. Ever since reading the article, I couldn't wait to smell the new perfume. From what I remember, she said that the new fragrance is based on what she wants to smell like on a daily basis, and its not necessarily based on a fantasy like Wonderstruck and Wonderstruck Enchanted. While I like Wonderstruck and Wonderstruck Enchanted, I never bought them because I am so in love with Calvin Klein Shock to justify buying another "sweet" perfume.

Not so with Taylor by Taylor Swift.


I stopped by Ulta today with the intention of just smelling Taylor by Taylor Swift. Instead, I ended up walking out of the store with the 3.4 oz. bottle of the stuff, which set me back $59.50 + tax. While that strikes me as a bit expensive, especially for a line targeted at younger consumers, it's relatively in-keeping with perfume prices these days. 

The more I smelled the perfume, the more I liked it. It starts off smelling fruity and sweet, but those top notes fade into a lovely floral aroma. As it settles on the skin even more, the perfume mellows into a very fresh, ever-so-slightly musky scent.

Two things really surprised me about the perfume: it's a very complicated smell, and it lasts for hours. A little bit goes a long, long way. If you spray too much of it on yourself (like I did!), it might be a  bit overwhelming for both you and those around you.

This perfume is very different from what I normally wear, but I like it a lot. It's very fresh and feminine, perfect for hot summer days when you just want to smell like a lady. I got three compliments on it within hours of buying it, which greatly helped my buyer's guilt.


My one complaint is the bottle. The silhouette is beautiful, and from far away it looks very expensive and elegant. When you get up close, however, the top of the bottle has this horrible, 70s style swirly design. Just looking at it makes me feel slightly nauseous. There is also a string of pearls surrounding the base of the cap; normally pearls are classy, but these are just cheap-looking and campy. I would have loved to see them replace the swirly design with a pattern similar to those on Wonderstruck and Wonderstruck Enchanted.

Doesn't she look AMAZING in this picture?
Bottom line, T-Swift fan or not, this perfume needs to be on your To Smell list. It's the perfect combination of fruity, floral, and fresh.









What is your favorite summer fragrance? Do you prefer floral, fresh, or sweet? 
Let me know!

2 comments:

  1. I wasn't a huge fan of her first two fragrances, they were too sweet for my liking, but like you said, the bottles were gorgeous! I actually quite like the swirly design of this one (reminds me of Pucci!) but you're totally right. Those pearls are beyond tacky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make a really good point about the swirly design... that part of the bottle is a matter of preference, and they are very Pucci-esque! I have a more classic, simplistic style, so that part of the bottle doesn't appeal to me. Sometimes I'm too boring... maybe I should throw in some pattern to spice up my life. :)

      Delete